Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Oreo Cupcakes

So as a middle school teacher, I often struggle to convince my students to turn in their homework (as if the idea of learning or failing isn't enough motivation?!). One of my fellow teachers had the same problem and she came up with a Homework Competition. Genius! So of course I totally copied her idea (she said it was okay). Each of my 5 classes competes against each other each week to see which class has the highest percentage of homework completed and turned in on time (I also struggle to convince my students to turn in on time). The winning class gets to pick their prize. So far, some of the choices have been Late Homework Passes, Bring a Snack to Class, One Extra Day for a Project, and of course, Cupcakes! I made the cupcakes below for period 5. They have won the Homework Completion Competition more than any other period and even got 100% one week! They deserved cupcakes...


Oreo Cupcakes

Chocolate Cupcakes
Start with your favorite Chocolate Cupcake. Any chocolate cupcake will do, I normally use HERSHEY'S "Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate Cake. (It goes well with my cream cheese frosting.)

Oreo Frosting
Make your favorite Buttercream Frosting. Again, any buttercream frosting will do. Once your frosting is made, ground up a bunch of oreo cookies (I used a few handfuls of oreos and threw them in the food processor), and add them to your frosting. Taste your frosting as you add the oreos in order to find the flavor you're looking for. It won't be a very strong oreo flavor, more subtle.

Garnish
Top off your Oreo Cupcakes with a whole oreo. Yum!

My students loved them, and were very impressed... They saw there was an extra (mine!) and began to persuade me to give it to them... A bunch of lawyers, they'll be!

Happy baking! And happy crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment