Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Cookies!

Today I took a break from crafts and baked some cookies... Below you'll find pictures (they look sort of like poop, but I swear they're good!) of my first attempt at Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Oats Cookies. And by first attempt, I mean, apparently rolled oats, quick-cook oats, steel-cut oats, and quick-cook steel-cut oats are all quite different. You see, the recipe called for quick-cook oats... okay, I can do that. At the store, I found quick-cook oats. Done. At home, I continued to read the label (I really need to learn to read all instructions before I start!) and found that I had purchased quick-cook steel-cut oats. Eh, same difference. So I bake... Then I try... Hmmm.



Apparently, there actually is a difference between all these types of oats. It gets complicated from here... Rolled oats are slightly steamed and rolled flat. Quick-cook oats are rolled oats that are cut into smaller pieces in order to cook faster. Okay, makes sense. Steel-cut oats are cut into smaller pieces when the oats are still raw and therefore actually take longer to cook than regular rolled oats. And finally, quick-cook steel-cut oats (the kind I purchased) are entirely made up because steel-cut oats are not quick cook. So to make a long story short, the oats in my Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Oats Cookies did not cook. I still think they're good, though!

And when I found the cookie below, I got really excited... Doesn't it look like a heart? This one is definitely be saved for the boyfriend! Happy baking all!
 

Ashley

2 comments: